I am not a Shopaholic I’m just Suffering from a Shopping Syndrome

Have you heard of shopping syndrome? I am sure you must have. In fact some of you must even be suffering from this type of disorder.


Shopping Syndrome: An addiction




 Shopping syndrome according to me is a kind of disorder where you derive ultimate pleasure when out for shopping. Rest all activities can easily be put to hold when this syndrome strikes a personality. This syndrome has the potential to overpower even mental ailments. At times when feeling low or distressed, shopping syndrome has the power to rejuvenate and re-energize even the gloomiest of souls.

Although female groups are likely to be more affected by this syndrome there has been a paradigm shift in this regard. Today even the male counterparts are super actively affected by it.

Well, I have never been a typical shopaholic person(at least that is what i believe) but for the past few years I have noticed a change in my behaviour which I somehow relate to shopping syndrome.

It is not that I go shopping frequently or I go crazy about it when shopping malls are abuzz with attractive sales and discount offers. But I have noticed a completely different aspect of me that earlier was absent. When and how I fell prey to this shopping syndrome is still a big question to me.
I experienced my first bout of this syndrome four years back. I was in Splash, a lifestyle section with myriad variety of attractive items. There were many interesting pieces of ornaments.

Outcome of my first bout of shopping syndrome
 Now amongst all I chose one trendy ear ring that caught my attention at once. It was a dangler that looked stunning. But then just next to that was another smaller, chic- looking piece that looked equally good. Both the ornaments were really beautiful and I could not decide between the two so I asked my companions. Their mixed suggestions further increased my confusion. So, finally I settled my urge by purchasing both the pieces.

Well, that was just the beginning. Since then whenever I went out for shopping I ended up getting messed up between two choices and then finally got satisfied only when I had both.

Be it dresses or ear rings or glasses or purses or simply lip colors or even bed sheets I started purchasing two items every time. I never knew that I could be so indecisive.

Once I decided to shop for a sun glass as it was getting very hot here in Oman. Although I never preferred wearing glasses in India but I realised that it was a necessity here. Several times I had skin rashes around my eyes due to sun burns.

Now as I entered the optical showroom I kept looking for something that suited me. Luckily I got a brown glass that suited my choice but then there was another piece that had better design. It was difficult to decide which looked better so I bought both. Although I bought both the sun glasses I was struck hard by pang of guilt so I gifted one to my sister and hence pacified my guilty soul.

Everyone in my family says that I am a very difficult shopper in the sense that nothing pleases me easily. Once my brother was caught up with this difficult shopper. I was in Pune, shopping for Eid. I generally prefer to buy party dresses from India instead of purchasing them from Oman itself as I find lot more interesting varieties in India.

So we began our journey from a mall as suggested by me, then to other shops that my brother knew of. Finally tired, he took me to the final shopping and very popular place (the name I fail to recall) and said, “This is the last place you either buy it or leave it”.

Well, now things were getting serious but I just could not throw money on anything that I didn’t liked. After passing by 3 shops I landed to one small shop. The lady started showing me dresses. Initially I didn’t liked any one of them but later she showed me some more which looked simply gorgeous and unique.

The two dresses that left me guilt-ridden


 Although I had come to buy a single fancy suit and some few ordinary ones I was struck by the unique syndrome. I was fixed between the two choices. Both the dresses looked beautiful and they had completely different look.

Finally I bought both, borrowing money from my brother as I fell short of money as expected. Again I felt very guilty for having overspent but then later my sponsor, my husband’s positive expression and compliments pacified my distress.

My victimized brother finally felt relieved when reached home and said, Thank God you did not suffer from this syndrome at the time of your marriage otherwise it would have been really difficult….as you would have simply been messed up between two suitors not deciding which one to go for”.

Well, I acknowledge my problem and hence now I am working hard to get over this addiction of two’s. I have curtailed my unwanted shopping trips. My friends whenever invite me for any sale (especially Pakistani suits which is highly popular here these day) I politely turn down their invitations. Although my sponsor is always ready to accompany me I prefer to put a restrain to my syndrome and hence choose not to go places where there are possibilities of more options and varieties.

With a good intention to control my syndrome and with some sincere efforts I have successfully managed to curtail my shopping trips. But I am sure the syndrome continues to persist, though now at a little subdued form. 

Things are better now. Since shopping is done at longer intervals my sufferings too from ever-guilty conscience have lessened. I am happy that finally I discovered the trick that counters my shopping syndrome and offers me guilt-free pleasure.

Comments

Popular Posts