Demonitisation- A Masterstroke by the Government or a Major economic Blunder

The current scenario in India seems completely chaotic. The demonitization policy that banned the use of  higher denomination notes of Rs.500 and Rs.1000 has lead to financial emergency like situation in the Asia’s third largest economy.

The government claims to have launched the demonitization policy to tackle the problems of corruption, black money and fake currencies. The massive and 'too-bold-a-step' that asserts to benefit the people of India in future has crippled the day to day life of many. 

How and when demonitization will benefit the people is still not clear but the troubles and problems that a Common man is facing for the past several days and its impact on coming days is crystal clear.

Few days back someone elated over the govt’s cleansing policy posted this on Facebook-
''During passage of hard constipated stool, when the whole body puts an effort to push it forward, it is only the *asshole* that complains of pain''.
*#Demonetisation*
Thus, supporting the move by the government and calling the critics as ****.

I wonder how some people can be so insensitive to the crisis that poor and low income group are facing. Just because they are not in the shoes of daily wage earners or small business persons or farmers, with no medical emergencies and with credit cards and debit cards to their savior they can easily turn a blind eye to the woes of others.  

However, I find the statement very well describes the condition of major section of the people of India. True, poor and needy people are the assholes of the country because nobody cares for their sufferings and problems. Their lives which is already under tremendous pressure (where even meeting the basic necessities of life is difficult for them), they are being asked to suffer a little more the for the larger good of the country.

The richer and opulent class don’t  require to make any contribution in this major drive. They can continue to enjoy their lavish  ceremonies and sumptuous lifestyles. (http://www.firstpost.com/india/demonetisation-not-a-reality-for-bengalurus-reddy-family-and-the-big-fat-wedding-they-are-hosting-3102512.html).

The billionaire businessmen with thousand crores of loan debts to their names are free, they don’t need to worry about the current scenario but the Common Man, the 'Most Powerful' has to behave bravely like a soldier of the nation and protect the nation from the big corruption and black money scams. He has to make sacrifices and struggle a little more, after all he is most capable of bearing hardships. 

How can any government take such a drastic move without adequate measures and practical execution plans for a country with a billions population? Was it really a well-thought plan with the good intention of benefiting the people of India or is there any other story behind all this?

I’m not directly affected by the current move taken by the Indian government. But it definitely disturbs me to know that millions of people in India who have no role to play in the contribution of black money play are forced to sacrifice and suffer in the garb of showing loyalty to the nation and the government.

Last week just the day when the demonitization rule was implemented I had to make an emergency visit to India (I had to attend funeral of a relative). 

 I was travelling alone. It was a long journey with flight changes and there were moments when I needed to buy some necessities but I had no cash and no credit card, adding to my woes. Higher denominations notes were not being accepted even in the flights( the rules of the govt related to demonitization relaxation are easily being flouted with no one to question the flouters).

That was just the beginning. I somehow managed to reached my destination totally exhausted but the distress of others made my sufferings really meagre. My old domestic help, the driver, the chaukidaar and the store owner of my colony all seemed completely distraint by the ban of smaller denomination notes. Everyone had a sorrow tale to relate. Their tribulations affected me. I too felt the pinch after listening to their problems.

I am writing this to express my anger and grief  over the hardships that the  poor and hardworking people are being forced to go through. I am writing this because I empathize with all the senior citizens who are standing in serpentine queues. Yes, I feel for all those people who are being deprived of medical facilities in the wake of this new policy. I am moved by the pain of many families who lost their members because of this clever plan of the government.

All these are true tales that I witnessed. 

I wonder all those who are outrightly supporting this move. To me it is an irresponsible step of the government, a mere vegan policy where people are made to believe that the current bitter syrup is for their future good.

Whether demonitization will actually bring prosperity and progress in times to come is uncertain but the current situation is definitely pitiable. I just hope people eventually get a chance to taste the fruit  of success.

Comments

Popular Posts