Feroz Khan Arjun Performs at Jamia Alumni Oman Foundation Event

Feroz Khan, well known as the ‘Arjun’ of B.R Chopra’s 'Mahabharat' was in Muscat to attend the 69th Jamia Foundation Day organised by the “Jamia Alumni Oman”. The dynamic performer enthralled the audience with his electrifying performance. His melodious voice which bears resemblance to Mohammmad Rafi left the cheering audience asking for more.

An actor, a singer, a performer in true sense, Feroz Khan created a magic that kept the audience spellbound.  He connected beautifully with the children present there and established good rapport with the audience.

Feroz Khan performs at Jamia Alumni event, Oman



An interview with Feroz Khan

Q1) Mahabharat of B.R Chopra was one of the biggest TV hits during late eighties. Each character was so powerful that it still continues to stay in our minds.  How did you land up with the role of 'Arjun'?

I firmly believe in destiny. Basically I was never inclined to do any TV serial. I studied in Oxford and returned to join Taj. But acting always fascinated me. One day I was informed about an ongoing audition for a movie. But unfortunately I was late and some other actor was finalised. Little disheartened, I was passing by Mr.B.R Chopra’s house. I saw a group of renowned actors and actresses present there. I was very captivated. I met Mr.Gufi Pantel(Who played ‘Shakuni’ in Mahabharata). He told me that audition for Mahabharat was going on and insisted me to go for it. At that moment I had no idea about Mahabharata script. To my surprise I was handed the dialogues which were in Hindi, the language I was not at all fluent with. So, I first translated the dialogues into English and then I went for the audition. Fortunately, after a week I came to know that I was selected for the role of Arjun.

2) What was the most difficult part of working in an epic serial?

I won’t say acting in Mahabharat was difficult for me. I was always a confident actor. The only major hurdle was the language, ‘Hindi’. Initially I had problems learning the dialogues but late Rahi Masoom Raza and Pandit Narendra Sharma (the script writers) helped me a lot to overcome my problem. With time I improved and then everything became simple and more interesting.

3) You have worked for silver screen as well as TV screen. Which amongst the two media do you find is more challenging?

Well, to me TV and Cinema are one and the same. They are like two hands of the same body. But working wise TV serials are definitely more challenging. The shooting schedules are demanding, you need to modify characters immediately, several scenes are shot at limited time space and you have to give your best in every shot. So, it’s tough.

Feroz Khan


4) You have always been experimenting with different types of roles. Was it an intentional choice to opt for different roles or you took up whatever came your way?

I won’t lie on that. Honestly speaking I went with whatever I was offered. Beggars can’t be choosers(chuckles). However, I personally preferred doing negative roles.

5) In one of your interviews you said, “I derive more joy in doing negative roles”. Can you please add something to this?

Yes, right because playing negative character needs lot of articulations and mannerisms that are different from the stereotype heroes. Villain has got lot of shades. I feel if the negative is strong the positive will automatically be strong. A perfect balance between the contrasts can be maintained when negative portrayal is right.

6) Apart from acting and performing shows, what else is there that keeps you going?

I enjoy spending time with my family. I also love to watch boxing. I was a boxing champion for Maharashtra state. Apart from these, an important project that keeps me occupied is my son, Jibraan Khan. Having already established himself as a child artist in movies like ‘Kabhi Khushi kabhi Gham’ and ‘Rishtey’, he is now all geared up for the right opportunity in the film industry. Jibraan gets constant support and guidance from me. I enjoy being his mentor.

7) What are your upcoming projects?

I have some live musical shows lined up in the coming days. I enjoy singing Mohammad Rafi songs. Currently I also have three movie assignments, one of them is with Sanjay Dutt.

8) How was your stay in Muscat?
 I simply loved Muscat. I have been to other Middle East countries but somehow I connected really well with Muscat.  I loved the place and the people. Their hospitality is so heart warming. My stay in Muscat will remain memorable one.

9) Lastly, what would you like say about your organisers, Jamia Alumni Oman?


Jamia Milia Islamia and Aligarh Muslim University are two proud institutions that have made their mark worldwide. I consider myself very lucky to have got the opportunity to be a part of the Jamia event.  The best part of Jamia people whom I met here is their geniality. Their love and warmth made me feel like a family. I will be taking many lovely memories from here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts