Getting Older Can be Better than you Think


Its a flat in the 7th floor, in the opposite building. I shifted to this society just few weeks ago.
An old couple resides in the opposite building. The two seem to be all on their own. Occasionally some guests, probably their children visit the house which otherwise gives a desolate look, filled only with silence and presence of the couple.

The old man, the master of the house is the active of the two partners. Sometimes in the kitchen working with the vessels, sometimes cleaning the old furniture items, sometimes plucking leaves of methi and palak in the balcony and sometimes even combing hair of his partner. The gentleman is also spotted in the grocery store that lies just outside our society. But I have never seem them intermingling or socializing with anybody in the colony.

Once, while I was busy doing my household chores heard some noise.The noise distracted me. To ensure it was not my son in a problem I rushed to the balcony to view outside. What I saw was astonishing. The noise was coming from the old couple's home. The old lady in the opposite building was behaving very absurdly. She had turned violent, throwing away whatever she could get hands on. While the old man was trying to pacify her, she pushed him and hit him.

The scene scared me. I didn't know what to do. I just did not wanted to be a silent spectator. I wanted to help him but I didn't know how to go about it. So, I called one of my acquaintances who happens to reside in the same building but different floor. On apprising her about the ongoing incident in the seventh floor, she said that she and her neighbor could not do anything because they didn't know the couple and that their husbands were also not at home.

Disappointed at my meek attempt to help the couple, I waited for the lady to calm down. I could be accused of intrusion but it was with a good intention. Thankfully, after a while the man could get control of her. I felt relaxed.

Every time I go out in the balcony I get a glimpse of the two. Everyday comes and goes, their daily routine remain the same. Some questions often perturb me. Why don't their children look after them? Why don't they socialize? What will happen if any of the two passes away?

It is tough to handle old people and their tantrums but does that absolve us of our responsibility towards our parents. One thing that my minuscule mind suggested me for a better phase in old age is to have a good social circle. Even if your children are unable to give you time and attention you must develop strong bonds and kinship with people around you.



Live it the Right Way!( pic courtesy google)


There are several other old couples that I notice are staying alone. But, they seem to have better control over their lives. They have made companions in and around their homes. Be it early morning walks, some occasion in the community or any emergency in any of their houses, they are there for each other. They share their moments with one another.

Its good to see old people smiling and leading their last phase joyfully and peacefully.Old age is the most difficult stage in human life. Your physical, mental and emotional parameters are challenges that are difficult to handle.  Hence, its best to create an environment around you that can understand you and embrace you with your frailties.

According to researchers studying about the lives of old people, the most important factor that positively contributes towards happier and content life is active engagements. Having family and friends is not the key to happiness but engaging actively with them is. "Unhappy are the people who use retirements to withdraw from their involvements, expecting that free time will help them concentrate more on themselves and make them happy. They actually end up feeling miserable.

So, in order to have a better and brighter old age phase there are some vital facts that couples must give heed to :

Financial Independence: One should never rely merely on children for old age. You must have a sound financial back up plan.

Build a social circle of friends and companions who can understand you. Socialize more and more with positive people.

Set a daily mission. Every day you must plan something, it could be a small task like preparing  a special dish, looking after the garden, calling up relatives, meeting an old friend etc.

Life is what you make it! So, live it the best way.



Comments

Popular Posts