Ordinary Is Special







Being ordinary is special. Well, this is what I have started to believe in. I put myself in the category of ordinaries. Not many may agree to me but trust me being ordinary is not that bad.

As a growing girl, in the school I always admired those girls who were very pretty. Their looks made them so pleasing that they needed just nothing to glam up. No matter how they dressed, how they styled their hair, they always managed to gain attention. Well, there this particular stage where girls really want to look pretty and desire all attention. But this attention goes first to all the pretty faces and then the ordinary ones may or may not have the chance. I was an average looking girl so I guess I got only my share of attention that was moderate.

But today I find that it’s better to be average looking than very beautiful as it invites too much of attention including the unwanted ones. This further leads to unnecessary hassles in life. Once I happened to have made a pretty looking friend. Her looks definitely were god gifted. So, now whenever I accompanied her to any public place.. I noticed all the people around us ogled at her. As if she was not a human amongst us but a beautiful showpiece in an exhibition that everyone wanted to view closely. This was so embarrassing and it definitely made her feel uncomfortable. .

Everyone was extra sweet to her. Every new person wanted to please her. She had number of wooers. Finally one day, few years later I came to know that she married one of her wooers whom she once detested. And then after few years I was informed that her life was in tatters as the couple could not carry their relation.

Oh! so much mess… had she been an ordinary person like me.. not just any guy would have tried to impress her, made false promises and then finally  led to such a disaster. So, thankfully I was always free from the spectrum of evil on lookers.

Next on my list was intelligence. Well being intelligent is surely god’s gift. Those who are intelligent  know  exactly the solutions to almost all the problems. I wondered how some students just managed to get 100% in maths, easily understood all the chemical formulae and quickly solved the physics sums. I marveled their mental ability … what brain they must be having!

Today I don’t regret being an average person with moderate intelligence quotient. For, it has its own benefits that I could not realise then but now.

Marks that came easily to some, was tough for me. It made me work hard because I wanted to get good marks. And I did manage to get pretty close. So I would say that being an average mind made me a hard working person. And I believe that hard work always pays.

Witnessing the complications of several other intellectual people that I met later in life, I feel it’s better to be an average. The expectations levels are very high for intelligent people. Some parents, teachers and then bosses start expecting too much from you. Constantly trying to meet those expectations is not my cup of tea.

Then, I also experienced some really strange people at work. They just can’t digest someone more intelligent and smarter than you. Anyone especially a newbie who seems to be better with immense calibre becomes an eye sore to them and then all dirty politics starts against this person.
Well, so much mess again… happy to be average.

Finally, being rich.  Not exactly rich but having sufficient money so that most desires get fulfilled.  Truly speaking desires know no bounds. No matter how much bank balance you have your desires are sure to outnumber them. Yes I too wanted that much money that could fulfil my desires including some really expensive ones. Now that needs lot of money.

Rich people have so much that they really don’t have to think much about fulfilling their desires. Monetary sufficiency adds so much to life. Well, that’s what I thought once.

But now being average gives me satisfaction. Riches and money can only give monetary happiness which may not be the ultimate parameter for a satisfied life.

There are many rich people who work very hard to earn money and increase their bank balances but in real life they are losers. They are all time occupied with their work. The ever piling pressure of work and coping with competitors leaves them with no time to enjoy the small moments in life with family, kids and friends. Most of their time and hence on an average the major part of their life is spent on work, meetings, clients and competitors.Oh no! I can’t find happiness in such richness. I am happy to be average.  I am able to enjoy all the vitals moments of life.

Well, I may not be the most beautiful lady, I am not very intelligent and surely I am also not the proud owner of a big car, or a palatial bungalow but I am contended. My life is peaceful and happy.

So, all guys who feel they are average and mediocre… start enjoying it for it is not actually bad.

Comments

Popular Posts